Turkish ice cream, also known as Dondurma, is a unique and delicious treat that is enjoyed all over Turkey. Unlike traditional Western ice cream, Dondurma is made with a mixture of ingredients that results in a stretchy and chewy texture. Here's how to make your own homemade Turkish ice cream:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup mastic (a resin harvested from the mastic tree, commonly used in Middle Eastern cooking)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- In a large saucepan, combine the whole milk and heavy cream.
- Slowly add the sugar and stir until it has dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mastic and cornstarch together until well combined.
- Gradually add the mastic and cornstarch mixture to the saucepan with the milk and cream.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and let the mixture cool completely.
- Once cooled, transfer the mixture to a container and freeze it for several hours or overnight.
- Once frozen, scoop the mixture into a large bowl and use an electric mixer to beat it until it becomes stretchy and chewy.
- Transfer the ice cream back to the container and freeze it until firm.
And there you have it! A delicious and easy recipe for homemade Turkish ice cream. Serve it up in a cone or a bowl and enjoy the unique texture and flavor of this delicious treat. If you’re feeling adventurous, try adding different flavors or toppings to make it your own. Happy cooking!
Looking for good places to drink Turkish coffee in Istanbul? In this case, the suggestions…
Do you want to learn about some of the top Turkish drinks to try out?…
Turkey is a country where food lovers can have a blast, since Turkish cuisine is…
When visiting Turkey, one of the things to do can be exploring the cuisine of…